Friday 21 December 2012

Rehman Chishti on Leveson

At the beginning of the month I signed one of those E-petitions that lobby your local MP. The one I signed was to encourage my local MP, Rehman Chishti to vote for the Leveson proposals.

I dutifully filled in the address and email etc and sent it off.

Much to my surprise (but not my wife's!) I recieved a letter from Rehman on 14th of December and thought I would share the contents:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting me about the LEveson Report.

The Leveson Report blows apart the conspiracy theories that have been thrown at the Government over its relationship with News Internationa. It established that no deal was struck between the Conservative party and News International, that no deal was done to give Jeremy Hunt responsibility for handling the BSkyB bid in order to fix the outcome, and dismisses the idea that Jeremy Hunt rigged the BSkyB process.

The principle of the Leveson Report is independent self-regulation of the press. I support this priniciple.

The Government has been clear all along that the status quo is not an option and I, personally, am determined to see Lord Justice Leveson's priniciples implemented. Ministers will be engaging in cross-party talks to work out how to deliver this.
I do hope that this information helps, and thank you again for contacting me about this important issue.

Yours sincerely

Rehman Chishti

Fairly generic but welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment