Wednesday 19 December 2012

Response from my MP regarding Medway primary school failings


Following my email to Rehman Chishti about the concerning state of Medway Primary school results in the recent appraisals I received the following letter this morning;

Dear Mr Sams,

Thank you for your letter concerning primary school exam results in Medway.

As you may be aware, the Government has introduced tougher targets for Primary schools to improve standards across the country. This means that schools are set a “floor target” for 60% of pupils to attain Level 4 in English and Maths combined.

Although there have been improvements in Medway, results published last week show that 11% of schools are below the floor target. Whilst Woodlands Primary School continues to perform extremely well, with 85% of pupils attaining Level 4 in English and Maths, there are still two schools in Gillingham that are below the floor target.

I will be raising your concerns with Medway Council to find out what action they intend to take to ensure that all children in Gillingham and Rainham are given the opportunity of a first class education.
I will write to you again when I receive further information from Medway Council.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Yours Sincerely

Rheman Chishti MP




As many residents of Medway will know, this is a concerning time for the local children and their parents. Education is so vital and a child’s whole future can be effected at a young age by a problem such as this in Primary education.

Although, Sophie seems to have got into a good school (*Phew*), I’ll continue to push on this and keep regular readers and residents updated on anything I hear back.

No comments:

Post a Comment